What can one even say? Forget the Khalid Hameed incident. In the absence of anything to say to Afridi that hasn't already been said by innumerable commentators ("What was Afridi thinking?"), bloggers ("A disgrace") and the general public ("Mind boggling madness [from] a guy who's played more than 300 games...Shame on you", "Why would you do anything with the ball with 27 cameras watching you?!"), I thought we'd take a different tack and open up the comments section for YOUR suggestions on possible explanations that can be proffered by his close friends and relatives for this truly bizarre behaviour.
Here are some of mine:
1. Afridi was just really hungry but he didn't want the team to lose motivation if he went off the ground for a bite to eat.
2. Shahid just has a thing for leather and, usually, he's able to keep his fetish in check.
3. Afridi's actually a rodent and sometimes that side of him comes to the surface.
4. Shahid is a method player and he was imagining pulling the pin off a hand-grenade to hurl at the Aussies.
5. Everyone does it, yaar, you just don't see it because the goras never show their own people doing it.
6. Actually, he was forced to because he'd trimmed his nails that morning.
7. I probably shouldn't be telling you this but you know how bowlers shine the ball and where all it's rubbed? I mean, he is a Pathan after all...
8. Yaar, everyone knows the Pakistan cricket team sucks these days.
9. Shahid loves the game so much, he could just eat it all up.
Ok, folks, come up with your own.